Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What are some picture books that I can read aloud to my sixth grade students during the first week of school?



Your Ad Here





Question by luvspoodles:

What are some picture books that I can read aloud to my sixth grade students during the first week of school?



Your Ad Here





I am new to teaching 6th grade. I have always taught younger grades. I always use picture books the first week to discuss how afraid some students might be, or how lonely they might feel. I also use picture books to discuss how to have good character and to be a good friend. Picture books I have used with my 4th graders include:
"The Brand New Kid" by Katie Couric
"I Feel Silly Today" by Jaimie Lee Curtis.
"The First Day Jitters"
"A Bad Case of the Stripes"

Do you have any books that would not seem too childish for 6th graders, or am I silly for even thinking that they might like this? Thanks!
Yes, I am sort of scared that they won't like to be read to. However, my school is a 5th and 6th grade school (so not middle school yet) and I am told that the kids are still very young acting because it is in a very upperclass area, and there are no "rough" kids. I agree that all ages like to be read to. I will take into account that too many picture books may make me seem like a younger kid teacher. I guess I won't do it every day of the first week like I had before.




Best answer:


Your Ad Here


Answer by k.nicole211
well, i am an 8th grader now. and 6th grade wasnt that long ago lol.
i think u need 2 find a new approach, something that makes EVERYONE get involved. like a class game that somehow intertwines this subject.
i think picture books are just not gonna be the best approach 2 them.





Give your answer to this question below!

Your Ad Here


No comments:

Post a Comment